Tuesday, May 26, 2015

My Artist Statement

Although I'm a new graphic designer, I am not however, new to design or art. Art has been a part of my life since as far back as I can remember. I can recall drawing and designing little homemade cards, pretend business cards, and magazines as a child. I was a bit of a strange child but these were the things that really made me feel fulfilled and happy. So, as an adult I felt it only deemed necessary to pursue it as a career. In my work I like to deal with simple black and white geometric and symmetric designs as well as portraits of people. The only colors I choose to use in my work are typically pale monochromatic colors that are often used to display a complimentary effect on the prime subject. My biggest approach to designing is to use lots of patterns and different pale color palettes to accent the main subject in the drawing or piece. The visual impact I hope to create in my artworks is the feeling of warmth, a sort of  nostalgic feeling that only a memory would typically bring you. One of my personal influences to my art style is the graphic designer, is Scott Hansen, who also happens to be the lead of the band Tycho. Which so happens to be one of my favorite bands, Hansen has a way of visually taking you back to a place that you may have never been but it feels as if you have been there plenty times before. His graphic work much like his music, is like a soothing lullaby that can be just as relaxing as his instrumental work. As an artist my main objective is to creatively show how a sentimental feeling would look to the visual eye and still have the same affect on the heart.

2 comments:

  1. Cool artist statement, way to get ahead of the game. I like that your statement is more on the personal rather than technical side. This gives me insightful information about you as a person and I feel more connected to the text, I am basically saying I am glad you do not write like a robot. Also, I am more interested in the type of art you do, because I feel as if 'graphic designer' is a very broad term and you only touched briefly on it. I want to know what mediums you use more specifically, I guess. Other than that I say your statement is pretty solid. Good job dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice artist statement. I agree with Amanda in that your artist statement is very personal. That's what I think of when I think of an artist statement. I like the little bit of insight that I, as a reader, get from you. Once I know who you are, then it's easier for me to understand your art. I get that connection from you to your art, and it would make me give more thought to your work. Your wording of your artist statement is awesome too. I can tell you actually gave some thought to this. Good job!

    ReplyDelete